Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Little Cottage

This little painting started out as a plein air piece that I painted while standing in my own front yard.
I live in a little Historical District in a small Georgia town.
My house is a dusty pink cottage built in 1916.
When I found myself widowed and alone at 44 years old, I left New Orleans and came home to Georgia.
I love my little cottage. It was my refuge and comfort in those first dark days.
As I stood and painted, I thought about my cottage and the project that some of my friends have created.
My friends have created The House of Ruth. It is a domestic violence shelter for women and children.
This painting started off to be a painting of my garden. It ended up being a painting of a Cottage of Peace.
It now hangs over the fireplace in the front room of The House of Ruth.
I hope it brings some measure of peace to the women and children that walk in that door.
I am so proud of My Friends.

1 comment: