Friday, January 7, 2011

The Gift Of Snow

I felt myself sliding right around the beginning of December. I tried to find a handhold, there didn't seem to be one. I took my medicine, played with my Grandchildren, made and froze sugar cookies, but nothing was working.
I was slipping faster and faster. A Hallmark movie sent me over the edge. How long could I hide my sadness that Christmas was here again? I couldn't and wouldn't tell anyone, not even my Beloved.
I had a stack of ironing in the back seat of my car that I needed to drop off to be pressed. I ran all my errands and saved the ironing drop off till the end of the day.
It was twilight and I couldn't wait to get home, away from colored lights and carols.
The Ironing Lady works hard for her money. She has a grown daughter that is hearing and speech impaired. Her daughter is shy and has her own little ironing corner.
As I dropped my load of shirts and pants in a basket, I saw a framed photo of a white German Shepard. The frame was covered in silver crosses. I asked, "whose beautiful dog is this?" The older Lady shook her head and looked at her daughter. The daughter put her head down. She tried to talk to me. Her dog's name was Snow. He was fifteen years old when he died the week before. I asked to borrow the picture.
I drove home thinking about Snow.
I had eight animals to paint before Christmas Eve, now I had added another.
I started painting and painting and painting. People started picking up paintings and I started hearing stories.
I heard about women giving husbands a gift of love in old hunting dog paintings, Mothers giving grown children a family dog painting to make up for not being and animal lovers and children honoring a parents cat.
My mood was lifting. I turned soft carols on in my studio.
The painting of Snow was finished and ready to be delivered.
I took the painting to the little ironing shop.
When I walked in, the Mother saw me first and grabbed me. The daughter didn't see the painting and I think she was scared.  -  Then she saw the painting. The three of us held on  to each other and cried.
Those two women will never know the Gift they gave me.
They gave me back Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely precious. I treasure my painting of Bailey, as well.

    ReplyDelete